.pdf file[printable version]

Getting Your Identity Documents
Identity documents are the important documents every person needs in order to be able to establish essential information about themselves such as their name, date of birth, and citizenship. This section explains how to go about getting copies of identity documents such as birth certificates, state ID cards and social security cards.

How do I get a copy of my birth certificate?
In New Mexico, birth records are kept by the New Mexico Division of Vital Records and Health Statistics. This is who you must contact to get a copy of your birth certificate.

Who can request a copy of my birth certificate?
Your parent or guardian.
If you are on your own, you can get your birth certificate with your state issued identification card (ID).
If you are living on your own and do not have an ID, a member of your immediate family can get a copy. The family member does not have to be over 18, but must have an ID.

How do I request a copy of my birth certificate?
Call the Vital Records Bureau at (505) 827-0121. You can also go online to to get the application.
Mail the completed application along with a photocopy of your state issued ID or the state issued ID of the immediate family member requesting your birth certificate and $10 for every birth certificate that you request to:
New Mexico Vital Records
Post Office Box 26110
Santa Fe, NM 87502.

To request a copy in person.
In Santa Fe, 1105 South Saint Francis Drive – (505) 827-0121
In Albuquerque, Stanford Public Health Office, 1111 Stanford NE – (505) 841-4185

You will receive your birth certificate in the mail. It usually takes about four weeks.

How do I get a State ID card?
A State Identification card (ID) is another way to prove your identity. A State ID can be used in some of the same ways as a birth certificate. You can get a State ID at any age.
Go to your local Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) office and take the following things:
Your Social Security Number: A social security card or two documents that have your Social Security Number.
Proof of Identity: An original copy of your birth certificate, a valid passport or photo ID issued by the Military, Coast Guard, or New Mexico National Guard.
Proof that you live in New Mexico: Bring a utility bill, insurance bill, bank statement, or rental agreement. Individuals under 15 years old need one form of proof of residency. Those over 15 need two.
You can find a complete list of what you need to get a State ID or a driver’s license here.

How can I get a Social Security Card?
If you don’t have a Social Security card, you can get one from the Social Security Administration. If you are over 12 years old and have never had a social security number issued to you, you must appear in person.
Get an application for a social security card by going to a Social Security Office or online.
Bring or mail the application to your local Social Security office with the following documents:

Proof of U.S. citizenship or immigration status:
U.S. birth certificate or passport
A current document from the Department of Homeland Security showing your immigration status such as Form I-551, I-94, I-688B, or I-766.

Proof of age:
U.S. Birth certificate preferred
U.S. Passport may be accepted
Final Adoption Decree may be accepted

Proof of Identity:
U.S. Driver’s license
U.S. State issued identity card
U.S. passport
If you are not a U.S. citizen you must have your current U.S. immigration document and your foreign passport.

For more information on getting or replacing a Social Security card, go to the Official Social Security Website. There are local Social Security offices in Albuquerque, Carlsbad, Clovis, Farmington, Gallup, Hobbs, Las Cruces, Las Vegas, Roswell, and Santa Fe.

DISCLAIMER: This website is provided for informational purposes only. Nothing on this website shall be construed as legal advice nor does the information provided constitute the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. We take no responsibility for errors.